Re: Hardware question (urgent)

  From: Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>
  Subject: Re: Hardware question (urgent)
  Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:07:10 +0100 (CET)

  > On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Karl Hammar wrote:
  > > I don't know the german market. But I do know that my distributor
  > > have a presence in germany. Maybe you can call them and see if they
  > > have a partner who can solve your need.
  > Wrote e-mail to a partner of them.  Thanks for the hint!
  >
  > >   Boot manager
  > >   ------------
  > > You can use std. sun boot loader or silo to boot solaris.
  > > You can use silo to boot linux.
  > Is silo the kind of lilo or more the kind of grub, presenting a menu
  > to select from without having to press any key?

Yes it is "like" lilo (I have not used grub), and there are no menu.
How do you select from a menu without any key press, is grub mouse based?

  > > You can use std. sun boot loader to load silo from a linux partition
  > >  and then boot linux
  >
  > > Disk space is not usually a problem, though disk slot space is.
  > > E.g. Seagate sells 70GB scsi disks, but you can only have six disks in
  > > the chassi.
  > Well, 4x36GB seems me to be enough at the moment, but it's allways the
  > same ...
  >
  > > In software raid the os uses its own partitions so the should not be
  > > any conflickt having both linux and solaris software raid
  > For sure, but it would be interesting to have /home partition on RAID
  > which could be accessed by both systems for instance ...

Well, it would've been nice. But as things are now I don't think it is
possible. On the other hand, if I frequently wanted to reboot to
another os, I would put /home on another box, as to not to disrupt my users
work.

  > > I don't know of any raid card that linux-sparc can use.
  > > hw raid is os independent, the whole raid is presented as one big disk
  > Yes but the offered solution is about 3/4 of the price of the server
  > box with twice the diskspace... (The HW raid had "only" 4x18GB.)

Well, raid has an overhead. With mirroring you get ~50% of total disk space.

  > >   Howtos:
  > > /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Software-RAID-0.4x-HOWTO.txt.gz from the
  > > doc-linux-text package is a good start. There are references there
  > > also.
  > >
  > > You cat go to http://www.linuxhq.com and search for raid, you will get
  > > a list of howto's. I don't know which is best.
  > Thanks, I'll check that
  >
  >            Andreas.

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data           karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Lilla Aspö 2340             +46  173 140 57                    Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar         +46  70 511 97 84                  Computers
Sweden                                                       Consulting