Re: Hardware question (urgent)

[ Please don't cc me, I subscribe to this list ]

  Salesman in Germany who supports linux
I don't know the german market. But I do know that my distributor
have a presence in germany. Maybe you can call them and see if they
have a partner who can solve your need.

                Digital Network Services Deutschland GmbH
                Adresse         Industriestrasse 10 a
                                82256 Fürstenfeldbruck
                Telefon         +49 8141 3536 0
                Telefax         +49 8141 3536 897
                Internet        http://www.dns-gmbh.de
                E-Mail          info@dns-gmbh.de

You can also call Sun Germany, and ask them if they have a suitable

  Boot manager
You can use std. sun boot loader or silo to boot solaris.
You can use silo to boot linux.
You can use std. sun boot loader to load silo from a linux partition
 and then boot linux

Disk space is not usually a problem, though disk slot space is.
E.g. Seagate sells 70GB scsi disks, but you can only have six disks in
the chassi.

To my knowledge (I have not worked firsthand with raid) there are three
kind of raid out there:

  software raid
  raid with a raid card
  "hw" raid

In software raid the os uses its own partitions so the should not be
any conflickt having both linux and solaris software raid
I don't know of any raid card that linux-sparc can use.
hw raid is os independent, the whole raid is presented as one big disk

/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Software-RAID-0.4x-HOWTO.txt.gz from the
doc-linux-text package is a good start. There are references there

You cat go to http://www.linuxhq.com and search for raid, you will get
a list of howto's. I don't know which is best.

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data           karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Lilla Aspö 2340             +46  173 140 57                    Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar         +46  70 511 97 84                  Computers
Sweden                                                       Consulting