Re: Hardware question (urgent)

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 02:07:10PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > In software raid the os uses its own partitions so the should not be
> > any conflickt having both linux and solaris software raid
> For sure, but it would be interesting to have /home partition on RAID
> which could be accessed by both systems for instance ...
>
> > I don't know of any raid card that linux-sparc can use.
> > hw raid is os independent, the whole raid is presented as one big disk
> Yes but the offered solution is about 3/4 of the price of the server
> box with twice the diskspace... (The HW raid had "only" 4x18GB.)

Hardware raid is OS independent, _but_ you need to configure it
first.  The Sun HW Raids (A1000/A3500) come with a program: Raid
Manager which will do this.  This program will run under Windows NT
and Solaris.  I don't know if they have something for SPARC/Linux.
Perhaps Ben knows what they did with the debian machine that Sun
donated as I believe it has hardware raid.

Jim

--
Jim Mintha                                       Email: jim@ic.uva.nl
System Administrator                              Work: +31 20 525-4919