Re: Hardware question (urgent)

To your question there are two answers.

  One answer:
Buy from someone who supports Linux/Debian on Sun/Sparc.
BTW, using a limited time frame is an usual trick to stress the
customer into a buy. I use it too, ofcause. But you should know that
you could also buy a system with minimal memory and disk, add third
party memory modules, ordinary 36GB SCA disks and third party mounting
frames for those, and still save a lot of money.
The point is: if that salesman don't support linux, you are not helped
by the sun label on all your stuff, since if it don't work, you have
to show that it won't work under solaris, which puts you into the not
desirable situation of supporting both os'es on that box.

  A technical answer:
You didn't say what system you was offered, only whats inside.
I guess the system is an E250.

The E250 don't have raid functionality, though you can get software
raid with solaris. But that you can get with linux also.
BTW. the scsi controller is a plain 53c860 if I remember right.
I have not tested the ASR nor the RSC.

  A third answer:
Why not run solaris. Yes it is a mess compiling/installing/upgradeing
the said software (and installing all gnu software you got used to).
But if you want to be on the bleeding edge you have to do that anyhow,
and web world is kindof bleeding edge. And there are lots of unclean
solutions (what the heck, as long as it deliver in time).
The plus is that you'll get support from your salesman.
The down side is that solaris installs lots of things you possible
don't want to have on a public server.

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data           karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Lilla Aspö 2340             +46  173 140 57                    Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar         +46  70 511 97 84                  Computers
Sweden                                                       Consulting