Re: problem with X

Quoting Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>:

> On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 04:44:37AM -0000, kuman2k@catcha.com wrote:
> > hi all,
> >    this is my first attempt playing with Debian (it even my first on
> linux). i
> > guess i've successfully installed potato on an ultra1 machine but having
> this
> > difficulties on X. whenever i "startx", i get this:
> >
> >  kuman@jsbsl:~$ startx
> >
> >  Cannot open /dev/gpmdata, error 2. Trying /dev/sunmouse
> >  (using VT number 7)
> >
> >  Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/" does
> >  not exist.
> >           Entry deleted from font path
> >  Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/" does not
> >  exist.
> >           Entry deleted from font path
> >  PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file Roman_M
> >  <ctrl+alt+backspace entered>
> >  xinit: connection to X server lost.
> >  kuman@jsbsl:~$
>
> Install some of the xfonts-* packages.

   forgot to tell, "startx" did give me the "Vitejte v...Welcome to debian"
screen but the mouse pointer (looked as an "X") stayed un-moveable in the
center of the screen. does that tell i have some other problem besides the
fonts?

   prior to my first posting, i had xfonts-100dpi, xfonts-75dpi, xfonts-base,
xfonts-pex and xfs installed.
   after Ben's reply i add xfonts-cyrillic, xfonts-greek-ph-misc,
xfonts-greek-ph-scalable and xfonts-scalable together with xfs-xtt. then i
"startx" again.

   i still able to get the "...Welcome to debian" screen with un-moveable
mouse pointer. after <ctrl+alt+backspace> entered, i also still get this:

  PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file Roman_M
  xinit: connection to X server lost.

   anything else i could try? thanks a lot