booting, mounting / and software raid

debian 2.2 on an e250, kernel 2.2.17 with the raid-2.2.17-A0 patch
applied, using raidtools-dangerous-0.90-20000116, silo 0.9.8-1.

if this is a rtfm or faq somewhere, please point me in the right
direction...  haven't had any luck finding the info myself.

i'm trying to mirror two 9gb drives, sda and sdb.  got the other
filesystems mirrored and mounted, but i'm failing miserably trying to boot
and mount root off the array.  is that even workable?

following the software raid howto, i've created a /dev/md1 device which
contains /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sda1.  sda1 (the original root partition) is
in as a failed disk.  mounted /dev/md1 on /mnt, then tried `silo -r /mnt`
and received:
Fatal error: Couldn't find out what device is second stage on

and, after some feeble messing with options and searching the web, that is
where matters stand.

as another question, is it still true that it is not possible to mirror
swap partitions?  if so, then the mirroring doesn't give me what i want,
anyway, but i'm still curious to know the answer...

thanks!

	andy

--
andy bezella           "i'm easily distracted by shiny objects."
abezella@gmvnetwork.com                             - the tick

affiliation given for identification not representation