Re: A pc with XFree 4.0.1 as X terminal for a SparcStation IPC

 Rafael E. Herrera <raffo@neuronet.pitt.edu> et al. wrote.

> > However, when I log in, the colors are all very poor, it seems
> > that the clients are running at 8 bpp. The X server is running at 16
> > bpp.
> >
> > Any advise will be welcome.
>
> SPARC machines (and especially the 32-bit ones) are not known for their
> graphics... the IPC is no exception.  Chances are that you have either
> a CG3 or a CG6 (aka. GX) in your IPC.  Neither are cabaple of more than
> 8-bit graphics, and I'm sorry to say you have no alternative for more
> than 8-bit.

Uhh... if I understood correctly, the clients run on the IPX but
the server is XF4 under x86 running at 16 bpp.
This way I see no reason why the display would be limited to 8bpp.

The setup here is similar, I run colorhungry apps (ER-Mapper, Matlab)
remotely on cheap x86 with 32 bpp Xserver with no problems...

Or am I completely mistaken here (?)

Cheers,

Ragga