Re: A pc with XFree 4.0.1 as X terminal for a SparcStation IPC

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Joshua Uziel wrote:

> * Rafael E. Herrera <raffo@neuronet.pitt.edu> [001004 18:50]:
> > However, when I log in, the colors are all very poor, it seems
> > that the clients are running at 8 bpp. The X server is running at 16
> > bpp.
> >
> > Any advise will be welcome.
>
> SPARC machines (and especially the 32-bit ones) are not known for their
> graphics... the IPC is no exception.  Chances are that you have either
> a CG3 or a CG6 (aka. GX) in your IPC.  Neither are cabaple of more than
> 8-bit graphics, and I'm sorry to say you have no alternative for more
> than 8-bit.

Definitely.

Low-end sparcs like IPCs, IPXs, etc., are capable to display only 8-bit
graphics. You should use a wm with low color allocation requirements.
For example, I use Icewm on my machines, and I'm very satisfied with it.
It does not usually show color swapping when I jump from one X application
to another, and it is also quite fast.
Also fvwm works great on IPC/IPXs.

Avoid Afterstep or similar window managers: they are color-hungry.

Cheers

Sabino

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already
earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake,
since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice."
- Albert Einstein

Sabino Maggi                     !  tel: (+39) 011-3919-449 *NEW*
IEN "G. Ferraris"                !  fax: (+39) 011-3463-84
Strada delle Cacce, 91           !  e-mail: maggi@ien.it
I-10135 Torino, Italy            !  http:   www.ien.it/~maggi