Re: XsunMono Segfault on IPC. (update)

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 09:32:43PM +0200, Taco IJsselmuiden wrote:
> > Ok, after being just plain stupid, I thought about runnen strace...
> >=20
> > It seems to me something is going wrong while reading from
> > /etc/X11/banner/XBanner1.ras
> > It opens (read-only), reads a bit of data, and then goes reading "",
> > closes and segfaults ;(
> > Of course: i'm not a hero ;))
>
> The Xsun* servers in Debian toss up a splash screen which is stored in that
> directory.  XBanner1.ras is a monochrome Sun raster file.
>
> I don't know why this operation is bombing.

FWIW, on my IPC I have exactly the same failure mode (I had run
strace, and was about to mail this problem this morning, when it
occured to me to RTFarchives).

> I may have an unstripped server binary around that you can use; then when
> it cores a reasonable backtrace can be done.
>
> However, I'm pretty sure that development on that line of X server is dead;
> efforts have moved over to Sun hardware support via the XFree86 4.x server.

I note that a previous poster said they had a binary with Xfree86 4.x
support for the bw2. I'm willing to try that in the future, but would
rather not download it over my sucky modem connection; so if anyone
has a workaround (remove the offending raster file?), I'd be grateful.

As an aside, my x86 box displays the raster files fine...

Thanks,

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."