re: xserver-xsun broken!

Dayton Turner writes:
 > Hi, I just installed debian on my sparc the other day as well and I get
 >
 > pivo:~# startx
 > (using VT number 7)
 >
 > PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M
 > sunMouseProc ioctl VUIDFORMAT: Invalid argument
 >
 > Fatal server error:
 > failed to initialize core devices
 >

 > Now, I do have the xfonts-pex installed and the font exists in
 > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/PEX (Roman_M.phont) although running mkfontdir
 > doesnt seem to find it. so that's one problem, but i also seem to be
 > having the same problem you are with the core devices.
 >
 > Unfortunately, I dont have an old Xsun binary to fall back on, can you
 > either tell me where i might find one or give me a little insight to if
 > you have seen this problem fixed yet?

So you have got the same problem as me. However, three days ago, I have
installed sparc-debian on another Sun and it surprised me that
xserver-xsun works without problem. And when I saw the message of
Bolan Meek below, every thing become clear to me. In fact in the
second installation I have taken care not to install gpm and I have
actually get the message from the server that it didn't find
/dev/gpmdata so it tries /dev/sunmouse. This is actually the behaviour
of the new xserver-xsun: trying /dev/gpmdata first then /dev/sunmouse,
but never looked at /dev/mouse. So I check my other Sun and I found
that /dev/gpmdata is still there and that is why it crashed the server
since I have purged gpm, but "dpkg --purge gpm" doesn't remove
/dev/gpmdata ! So I make an experience: I reinstall the new
xserver-xsun but have gpmdata removed or symlinked to sunmouse. it
works except that in the first case the server complains about not
finding gpmdata.

Hope this help.

P.S. Just an after thought, It might be possible that xserver-xsun and
gpm can work together with gpm if the later is installed with option
"repeat". I have turn off systematically this option because it has
caused problem in the past (also on an intel box with the ATI card)