Sun CDU561 CD-ROM misadventures

Hi.

I am running slink on a SPARCclassic, and had to do
the installation using a SCSI CDROM drive temporarily
mooched off of another machine.  I would like to get
the original CDROM drive working with this machine.

I've read some things about CDU-8012 CD-ROM drives,
and things that have to be set as the boot parameter.
This machine came with a Sony CDU561 (aka Sun CD2000).
As far as I know, the classic had no problems reading
this drive under Solaris.  The SCSI ID is set to 6.
I get the same problems as somebody posted last year.
As advised in the afformentioned thread; at the

	SILO boot:

prompt, I tried entering:

	linux max_scsi_luns=1

-to no effect.  I still get a screen of SCSI errors.
Sadly, the following does not capture the errors:

	mount /dev/cdrom >& spew

Using vi to check the contents of spew reveals an
empty file.  So... let me ask for advice in the
meantime.  Anyone know of any peculiarities to do
with this drive?  I am obviously loathe to try
reloading Solaris to test this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--