Re: Can't start Squid on Debian Sparc

This has become a puzzling experience for me. I did manage to contact
the maintainer of the Debian distribution of Squid, who said more or
less that it was a kernel problem.

This leaves me with some mild confusion about what to do:

1. Why, if the port doesn't work for the sparc debian distribution, is
it included?

2. Should I be reporting this to anyone. Is it a bug in the kernel? Is
it simply a lack of synchonization, i.e. the squid package being built
too long ago?

Personally, I'm just going to assume that I'm better off compiling it
myself for now and worrying about the other stuff later.  I suspect
that the problems have or will be fixed and that the real problem is
distributing a package that doesn't work.

But if there is something that I should do, as a responsible
Sparc-Debian user, tell me!

> tried to run it on my installation (Linux whirlaway 2.2.15 #1 SMP Sun
> Apr 30 00:05:15 EDT 2000 Two TI SuperSparc MHz processors, 99.83 total
> bogomips, 512M RAM System library 2.1.3) and found that I constantly
> got the errors in the attached message.

Yes - I've seen this issue before.

See http://www.debian.org/Bugs/ for info on the BTS.

> > I'm sending this to both Squid and the Debian Sparc list just in case
> >
> > assertion failed: StatHist.c:93: "((int) floor(0.99L + statHistVal(H,
> > 0) - min)) == 0"

This is most likely a problem with the floating point stuff in GNU
libc, the FPU emulator in the kernel, the FPU driver in the kernel,
or the GNU C compiler.

And it is also platform specific - the bug is not in squid, but in one
of the mentioned packages above, and only on the Sparc.

We had the _exact_ same issue on the Alpha platform, it was solved
in the 2.2.14 Linux kernel I think (turned out the be a kernel/FPU
problem).

I'm sorry, but I cannot do anything about that. You would need to
contact an experienced Sparc kernel hacker. I think that the
debian-sparc mailing list would be the best place to start.

Mike.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us