Re: boot problems on ultra1

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 10:45:05PM +0100, Cristian Constantin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm a newbie in the SUN world... I've used Linux on PCs, though...
>
> Anyway... I'm having problems booting an sun4u machine (Ultra 1
> Workstation/ UltraSPARC1 CPU)
> When I'm tring to use the 1.44-floppy boot images from
> debian-sparc/slink (both with and without the sun4u one)
> i'm getting (in OpenBoot of course):
>
> Fast Data Access MMU Miss
>
> Any idea what this means?...
>
> (The SUN machine works when booted in Solaris)

When booted from floppy? Most PROMs in Ultra machines which handle floppy
booting is broken, in Ultra 1 you either have to upgrade the PROM (but dunno
which version is already safe) or boot from network/CD-ROM/tape.
Ultra PCI machines will not boot floppy either. I had success with
UltraAX/UltraAXi only. (The bugs go like if you are reading from the floppy,
it reads first two blocks and start repeating the second block everywhere in
the remaining data, no matter in which combination of seek/reads and read
sizes you do that - this is what I saw on Ultra 1).

Cheers,
    Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jakub@redhat.com | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/~jj
Linux version 2.3.47 on a sparc64 machine (1343.49 BogoMips)