mouse troubles

Somehere during the install, some questions were asked about the mouse. I
must have not answered correctly, since X complains about not being able to
access /dev/mouse. /dev/sunmouse is there and a link to it still produces
the error when starting X. Would some kind soul point me to where in the
install I need to rerun something to make X aware of the standard Sun mouse
and just how I should answer the question this time?
Floyd Rodgers KC5QBC
Multi ended candle burning artist in training