Re: Audio?

> Hey everyone...
>
> 	I *finally* got audio working on my Ultra10 here at school.  The
> 2.2.14 kernel seems to have done the trick.  However, I am unable to do
> anymore then play basic audio via sox/play.  When I try to use freeamp
> or xmms the audio is all static.  Anyone have any ideas?

If you read the archives from around November you'll see that I raised this
question then, too.

The answer I got is that the 2.2 series kernel audio driver expects a different
set of ioctl commands than in the i386 world.  The ioctls are used for
changing sampling frequency, bits per sample, etc.  Therefore, simple apps
like sox which just send raw audio data using the default config work, but
more complex apps written for i386 and not carefully ported will not be able
to properly set these options.

Audio ioctls are reported to have been reworked in the 2.3 series kernels to
make them compatible with the i386 kernels, so i386 apps should "just work" on
sparc with a 2.3 kernel.  However, I have not yet been able to get a 2.3
series kernel to boot on my Ultra 1.

Eric