Re: GLIBC 2.1 on sparc, a decision

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Ben Collins wrote:
> There is one problem with this however. After upgrading the new GLIBC tar
> is broken and this breaks dpkg. I have been told (have not tested) that
> tar compiled against the new GLIBC wont work on the older. So we have a
> catch 22 situation. Any solutions to this are welcome (I am going to
> actually test the new tar against the old GLIBC to make sure though).

Well, tar compiled against GLIBC 2.1 still works with GLIBC 2.1pre so I am
still for getting rid of the patch and recompiling things. Dpkg itself
will need to be recompiled to since it also has the chown problem. This
new GLIBC will have to predepend on the new dpkg and tar in order for the
upgrade to go smoothly.

So do we want this, or should I apply the patch?