Re: Several problems with fresh installation

Christian Meder writes:
 > On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 01:04:29PM -0800, Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella wrote:

[... output deleted ...]

 > To fix these errors above you've got to purge dhelp from your
 > system. It's broken on sparc.

Great! That worked just fine.

 > > venus:~# dpkg --configure nis
 > > Setting up nis (3.3.1-1) ...
 > >  Your system is not yet configured as a NIS client. Please read
 > >  /usr/doc/nis/nis.debian.howto.gz to find out how to configure your
 > > system.
 > > Setting NIS domainname to: info-objects.com
 > > Starting NIS services: ypbind
 >
 > Weird. nis works just fine for me. Did you check if it works if you
 > start it by hand ?

If I try to start it by hand I have the same problem. It just hangs in
there. Follows the output from a "sh -x nis start":

mycomputer:/etc/init.d# sh -x nis start
+ NISSERVER=false
+ NET=/usr/sbin
+ test -f /usr/sbin/ypbind -a -f /etc/defaultdomain
+ start
++ cat /etc/defaultdomain
+ domainname mydomain.com
++ domainname
+ echo 'Setting NIS domainname to: mydomain.com'
Setting NIS domainname to: mydomain.com
+ echo -n 'Starting NIS services: '
Starting NIS services: + '['false '!='false ']'
+ '['false = master ']'
+ egrep -q '^(ypserver|domain)'/etc/yp.conf
+ broadcast=-broadcast
+ echo -n 'ypbind '
ypbind + start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/ypbind -- -broadcast

It just hangs there.

 > Greetings,
 >
 > 				Christian

Thanks a lot,

Zorzella

PS: Any clue why my "bug" program does not work?

--
Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella                Computer Engineer
zorzella@iname.com