Re: Several problems with fresh installation

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella wrote:

>  > > venus:~# dpkg --configure nis
>  > > Setting up nis (3.3.1-1) ...
>  > >  Your system is not yet configured as a NIS client. Please read
>  > >  /usr/doc/nis/nis.debian.howto.gz to find out how to configure your
>  > > system.
>  > > Setting NIS domainname to: info-objects.com
>  > > Starting NIS services: ypbind
>  >
>  > Weird. nis works just fine for me. Did you check if it works if you
>  > start it by hand ?
>
> If I try to start it by hand I have the same problem. It just hangs in
> there. Follows the output from a "sh -x nis start":
>
> mycomputer:/etc/init.d# sh -x nis start
> + NISSERVER=false
> + NET=/usr/sbin
> + test -f /usr/sbin/ypbind -a -f /etc/defaultdomain
> + start
> ++ cat /etc/defaultdomain
> + domainname mydomain.com
> ++ domainname
> + echo 'Setting NIS domainname to: mydomain.com'
> Setting NIS domainname to: mydomain.com
> + echo -n 'Starting NIS services: '
> Starting NIS services: + '['false '!='false ']'
> + '['false = master ']'
> + egrep -q '^(ypserver|domain)'/etc/yp.conf
> + broadcast=-broadcast
> + echo -n 'ypbind '
> ypbind + start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/ypbind -- -broadcast
>
> It just hangs there.

I suspect there's some problem in the threading coding of the newer version
of ypbind (version MT < 1.4).  If you compile the older (non-threaded
version) of ypbind, this should fix it.  I found the source at

	ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/pub/linux/utils/net/NIS/ypbind-3.3.tar.gz

I'm not sure whether you can find the older .deb package anywhere.

Joseph Tam <tam@ocgy.ubc.ca>