ypbind partial fix. Does it work for you? (fwd)

I didn't see this message on the list (which my followup message referes to)
so I'll post it again:

I have seen several people on this list complain about ypbind not
being able to bind to a host.  I'm interested to find out whether this
is an isolated occurence (i.e. likely a configuration error) or whether
there is a pattern to this.

My set of circumstances:

	Debian distribution:	2.1
	Kernel			2.2.1
	ypbind:			1.3	(doesn't works)
				1.4	(partially working)
	ypbind host:		Sun4/50 (Sparc IPX)
	NIS master:		Sun4/65 (Sparc 1+), SunOS 4.1.2

Symptoms of problem

	ypbind will start, but won't bind and won't terminate until
	interrupted.  Here's a sample output of ypbind -d (v. 1.3)

	Trying entry: domain ocgy.ubc.ca server nessie.ocgy.ubc.ca
	parsed domain 'ocgy.ubc.ca' server 'nessie.ocgy.ubc.ca'
	add_server() domain: ocgy.ubc.ca, host: nessie.ocgy.ubc.ca, nobroadcast, slot: 0
	[Welcome to ypbind-mt, version 1.3]

	ping host 'nessie.ocgy.ubc.ca', domain 'ocgy.ubc.ca'
	Pinging all active server.
	ping host 'nessie.ocgy.ubc.ca', domain 'ocgy.ubc.ca'
	Pinging all active server.
	ping host 'nessie.ocgy.ubc.ca', domain 'ocgy.ubc.ca'
	... repeats every 20 seconds ...

	Any attempt to run any yp utilities (e.g. ypwhich) will produce

        ypbind
		ypbindproc_domain_2_svc (ocgy.ubc.ca)
		trylock = success
		ping host 'nessie.ocgy.ubc.ca', domain 'ocgy.ubc.ca'

        ypwhich
		can't yp_bind: Reason: Domain not bound

Workaround

	I was finally able to ypbind to work by

		1) Upgrading to v. 1.4
		2) Running by binding via broadcast (-broadcast) and under
			debug (-d").  This produces lots of verbiage to
			console.

Maybe it's the threading code that's breaking.  I'll try an older an
older non-threading ypbind and see whether that fixes it.

Joseph Tam <tam@ocgy.ubc.ca>