SS-2, floppy, and 2.2.1

Greetings!

  I have recently installed Debian 2.1 on my SS-2. I had to use the 2.0.35
disksets, as I had problems with the 2.2.1, I am wondering if any problems
have been reported, and if a FAQ exists with discovered
problems/solutions.

  When I tried booting (via floppy) with the 2.2.1 boot/driver disks, it
would boot the kernel just fine, and then get down to the part where it
asks to insert the root disk and press enter. The only problem-- the
floppy does not eject (with the 2.0.35 it does).. I break to the ok prompt
and manually eject it and then return, insert the root disk and press
enter, it gives a message about floppy already in use (or something like
that.) [I do know that breaking out of Linux (Stop-A) may cause Linux
problems, but this was on the initial install, and I was hunting around
for quick solutions.]

  Also, is the kernel source (2.2.1) already patched and the system
capable of handling a 2.2.1 (or later-- with patches) kernel? I imagine it
should be, but I'm wondering if there are any issues I should be aware of.

  Besides the boot floppy issue, I got the system up with no other
problems (besides things I did and fixed), and it's better than ever!

  Keep up the good work!

p.s. Just remembered another thing-- md software RAID support, is there
anything significantly different/unsupported that would prevent me from
attempting to RAID-0 (striping) the two internal SCSI disks in my SPARC? I
haven't read anything, but just wondering if anyone knows of any sticky
issues off hand.

      * * *       Atari 8-bit!  Battlestar: Galactica * Star Wars
      * * *      400/800/XL/XE  Star Trek * SeaQuest * Voltron * AMD 486
  *  *  *  *  * 2600/5200/7800  DESCENT * WarCraft II * SPARCstation 2