Re: Thanks: X works as root, not as user

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Daniel Brosemer wrote:
>

> > Thanks to all who replied with the /dev/fb0 permissions suggestions, I was
> > able to get X working by fixing these permissions.
> >
> > There were suggestions that this should be included in a FAQ.  I thought
> > for the sake of reference I should mention that  the first place I looked
> > was the release-notes at
> > http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/release-notes/index perhaps
> > this info belongs in there?  Is the maintainer of these notes subscribed?

> I'm the maintainer of /ports/sparc, and I plan to consolidate the various
> slink install comments and put them there shortly.

The stuff that I have seen so far:

  The permissions have do be changed on /dev/fb*.

  The /dev/mouse link has to be created:  "ln -sf sunmouse /dev/mouse"

  Initializing the swap partition doesn't work during the install on
  an Ultra (perhaps for all 2.2.1 kernel installs).  You have to do
  mkswap after the install completes.  (The mkswap that is installed
  works fine.)

  Once again boot floppies do not work on Ultras.

  There are some problems with the initrd being "beyond the end of
  memory" on sun4m machines if there is no SIMM/DIMM in the first slot.

  I've had a report that the kernel doesn't work on Ultra10 machines
  with two "ATY" videocards.  Remove one of them to fix.  (This should
  be forwarded to the list.)

  The usual: You must have a Sun disklabel and the first partition
  can't be swap on the boot disk.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu