Re: Thanks: X works as root, not as user

sd> Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

>> suggestions, I was > able to get X working by fixing these
>> permissions.  > > There were suggestions that this should be
>> included in a FAQ.  I thought > for the sake of reference I should
>> mention that the first place I looked > was the release-notes at >
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/release-notes/index
>> perhaps > this info belongs in there?  Is the maintainer of these
>> notes subscribed?

I am subscribed, but I would prefer for efficiency that any request to
change the release notes or the installation manual (for sparc, or
otherwise) is sent to <debian-boot@lists.debian.org> or filed as a bug
against boot-floppies.

>> I'm the maintainer of /ports/sparc, and I plan to consolidate the
>> various slink install comments and put them there shortly.

Excellent.

sd> The stuff that I have seen so far:

sd>   The permissions have do be changed on /dev/fb*.

I'd be happy to add this stuff to the release notes, but I need more
information.  Or I'd also be even happier just to point to Jules' area
on the web site.  Guidance, please!

sd>   The /dev/mouse link has to be created: "ln -sf sunmouse
sd> /dev/mouse"

Should this be added to the release notes?  Errata?  Enrique (the
boot-floppies maintainer) thinks it's a xserver-xsun bug, btw (bug
submitted by me just today).

Same goes for the rest of the info Steve very helpfully summarized.