[Fwd: info on sparc10]

I have checked suns web site and all of the Sparstations and Ultra
Series have been Y2K compliant since there inception.  As far as using a
PC Screen with the 10, my expierence has shown that only a few 17" and
most 19" monitors can synch up to the boot screen for diagnostics.  If I
remeber right the freq is 83 Hz but I could be off on that.  I know that
NEC A900 and Compaq MV900 all synch up just fine.  Another option is to
check eBay they have some decent buys on 16" which run $50-$100 for the
sun system.    Hope I could help  :-)
--- Begin Message ---

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, christophe plasschaert wrote:

> hi everybody and happy christmas for all
> New on this list, i've the possibility to buy a sparcstation 10 and i
> would like to know a
> few things before:
> Will the hardware go through y2k ?

As far as I know, there is nothing explicitly date-dependent in Sparc
hardware architecture.

> Is it interesting to use this hardware ?

The Sparc 10 was midway between the Sparc 5 and the Sparc 20 in the
SparcStation/SparcServer line, and supported dual processors. I have a
Sparc 5 that runs at around 70Mhz, with roughly the computing power of a
486-DX100; the Sparc 10 should perform around the same as a Pentium 60, at
a guess.

> can i use a pc screen with this station ( with adaptator ) ?

Yes, provided that the Sparc comes with a framebuffer (Sun-flavor video
card). The Sparc 20 generally requires a Sun monitor, since the PC ones
don't support the resolution the 20 wants to put out, but the 10 should be
fine.

> any information which can help a newbie with this kind of hardware.

Building a boot floppy for a Sparc is more involved than for a PC. I tried
copying a Sparc boot image to a floppy with dd, and got an error message
from my 5, saying that it didn't find a Sun label on the boot disk. OTOH,
you can get a Debian Linux CD set from Linuxcentral.com for a reasonable
amount of money, which will boot a Sparc with no problem. I have my Sparc
5 (which came with two NICs) running as a network server/firewall/NAT box,
and it performs its function admirably. OTOH, trying to do any kind of
large-scale data moving/computation with it (copying CDs to hard disk,
installing Solaris, building Linux kernels, etc.) is pretty slow.

> thanks a lot for your answer and sorry for my bad english.

Your English looks fine to me! Hope mine is equally comprehensible to you.
:-)

All the best,

--Walter Keeler

Walter Keeler                          *  If my words did glow...    *