silo again

Hello

Sorry to ask again, but silo just doesn't want to play nice.

Here is my /etc/silo.conf file:

partition=1
root=/dev/sda1
timeout=100
image=/vmlinuz
label=linux
read-only
image=/usr/src/linux/vmlinux
label=kernel
read-only

After I make changes to the file, I do a /sbin/silo and a /sbin/silocheck.  I
don't get any errors.  But, when I reboot, I always get the first kernel
(/vmlinuz) loaded.  That makes sense.  My problem is that I want to boot using
the newly built kernel in /usr/src/linux/vmlinux and I can't get to it.
When I see the SILO: prompt, I hit the shift key and/or the tab key and nothing
happens.  I was expecting to see a list of boot kernels similar to lilo.

Also, if I put a prompt line in my silo.conf file, it won't boot anymore.
ex:

partition=1
root=/dev/sda1
timeout=100
prompt
image=/vmlinuz
label=linux
read-only
image=/usr/src/linux/vmlinux
label=kernel
read-only

I can also replace the prompt line with a delay=40 line and that also prevents it
from booting.

Please help.  All, I want to do is have a quick and dirty way to test newly built
kernels.

~