Re: audio?

> Well, I think anyone who wants to work is welcome.  Also, I just
> remembered that I think RedHat's audio stuff is a bit better off on Sparc
> then Debian.

I've been using Debian more or less exclusively since 0.93R6.  I did my
first Debian installation over four years ago.  I've been very happy with
Debian, and I'm not eager to switch to RH.

That was on i386, of course.  My first Sparc installation was last week.

> Audio just dosn't seem to be a high priority.

I've been a computer audio junkie for a while.  10 or 11 years ago, I even
built a serial port audio recorder from mostly Radio Shack parts and specs
I found on a BBS.  It almost worked, too.  :) Things have changed a bit since
then.

> True, it shouldn't.  I've also had some interesting issues.  Sometimes
> some wav files play fine from a Windows machine, other wav files just give
> me noise.  There could still actually be some driver issues.

I've been toying with the idea of porting ALSA, but that's a big job.
It runs on i386 and Alpha now, but it won't compile under sparc.  The DMA
code is all different.  It might be more than I have time to handle right
now.

Eric