Re: swap on NFS

On Sun, Sep 19, 1999 at 09:15:25PM +0200, Eric Delaunay wrote:
>   I'm willing to provide swap on NFS for our bootdisk kernel (at least in
> sparc32 arch) to allow installation on low memory diskless workstations (8MB or
> less).
>
> I did some trial with my current bootdisks and it appears that 16MB (maybe 12MB
> but I don't have the needed SIMM modules to create such configuration) is the
> minimum required to install Debian on a diskless workstation.

On i386 you may do "MEM=xxx" in the lilo.conf memsize which seems to do something
on Sparc but not as properly as it should. Results in a crash aka hang
after "Uncompressing Linux" - So this seems to be a bug in the Sparc
kernel. When getting this to work you might be able to test any low-mem
construction you might want to ..

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
  ...  The failure can be random; however, when it does occur, it is