Problems with apt

Hi!

I just installed debian 2.1 on my ELC with 340 MB
scsidisk. When asked by the installer, I composed my
own profile, consisting of "base tools" and "small xserver system".
(Or something similar.)

Now when I try to use apt-get or for that matter dselect with
apt method, I notice that CPU usage reaches near 100% and nothing
happens.

Anyone who know how I can solve this problem?
Reinstall apt-get from debian package?

in /etc/apt/sources.list I have an url that I know works,
since the system got installed from that url.

Strange, isn't it?

Jakob