Re: which 2.2 kernel for sparc ?

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> I would say the 2.2.12 kernel since 2.2.11 saw a huge sparc sync.

>From what I've heard this sounds right.  2.2.12 is probably going to
be release wide, if we do a stable update (what I call Debian 2.1.1).

> As far as compilers
> I would suggest the gcc-2.95.1 for the sparc32 compiler. Right now egcs64 does good
> for sparc64 kernels, but some parts (notably qlogic and 3c* drivers) don't compile,
> and possible other parts as well.

Do you mean egcs64 from stable?

Does it raise issues to use a potato compiler to compile the kernel
for a slink update?  I guess the kernel is pretty stand-alone, so it
would technically work, but I don't like it due to the boot-strapping
issues (i.e., how would a Sun4u user recompile their kernel on a slink
box?).