Re: which 2.2 kernel for sparc ?

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 11:30:27PM +0200, Eric Delaunay wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I'm starting to work on a new set of bootdisks for one of the next 2.1
> subrelease.  Since the 2.2.9 kernel built in potato are not usable for
> installation software (heavily required features left out of the kernel itself,
> like iso9660 support, ...), I want to build a new one.
> Could I go with 2.2.12 or do I need to stick to a previous one ?
>
> Moreover, which compiler should I use to build both sparc32 & sparc64 kernels ?
> slink or potato ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I would say the 2.2.12 kernel since 2.2.11 saw a huge sparc sync. As far as compilers
I would suggest the gcc-2.95.1 for the sparc32 compiler. Right now egcs64 does good
for sparc64 kernels, but some parts (notably qlogic and 3c* drivers) don't compile,
and possible other parts as well.

I am working on rolling out 64bit support in our default gcc-2.95.1 compiler (default
to -m32, but able to accept -m64). So far I have not had problems running a kernel
(2.2.12 and 2.3.15) compiled with this on sparc64.

Hope to give you more info tonight, I am right in the middle of setting up this gcc
build for the 64bit support.

Ben