which 2.2 kernel for sparc ?

Hello,

  I'm starting to work on a new set of bootdisks for one of the next 2.1
subrelease.  Since the 2.2.9 kernel built in potato are not usable for
installation software (heavily required features left out of the kernel itself,
like iso9660 support, ...), I want to build a new one.
Could I go with 2.2.12 or do I need to stick to a previous one ?

Moreover, which compiler should I use to build both sparc32 & sparc64 kernels ?
slink or potato ?

Thanks in advance.