Re: Still errors in Ultra 5 installation

On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 10:20:31PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Steve Dunham <dunham@cps.msu.edu> writes:
>
> > The egcs64 in potato is flakey, the one is slink might be flakey, and
> > the one in Red Hat works (it's the one in slink with some additional
> > patches, the one in potato is based on a much newer egcs).  The
> > kernel-image package mentioned above was compiled with the Red Hat
> > egcs.  (When I say flakey, I mean that the resulting kernel may slow
> > down and eventually die when doing intensive stuff like compiles.)
>
> Yurgh.  Oh well -- i have your stock 2.2.9 kernel working perfectly.
> Ok sure, I could probably save 200k of non-swappable RAM by compiling
> my own kernel.
>
> I must say, X11 performance on my Ultra 5 (Rage-64) is rather
> disappointing.  Am I wrong in assuming that either a 64-bit X server,
> or other misc. optimizations in the linux kernel etc etc. should
> eventually lead to, um, I dunno, a 30% speed improvement?  Or at least
> better interactive performance?  I note in particular that the X
> server tends to really bog down under load...

Just some additional notes: For Linuxtag (which was held past weekend) I
worked on fixing some packages. I compiled my own egcs and egcs64 packages
with the gcse.patch from RedHat (courtesy by David Miller and Richard
Henderson). I compiled my own kernel which seems to work ok (no slowdowns
or other miscompilations). Are there any other issues with egcs, Steve ?

The latest version of Xsun24 -9 is stable and fast with Creator boards
(compared to the previous ones which were only fast and the slink version
which is only stable). Thanks Steve.

I intend to upload fixed egcs* packages and more recent X packages to stable.

Greetings,

				Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de