SPARC kernel questions

A couple of questions appeared in my mind while upgrading to 2.2.10:

(1) This business of having to install /etc/init.d/devpts.sh from
potato's libc6 to make a recent 2.2.x kernel work if
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS is selected. It's not too hard to do by hand, but
it doesn't seem right that people should have to do that sort of thing
merely in order to use a more up-to-date kernel. You can't tell people
to update their libc6 to unstable just in order to use a newer kernel;
we've already seen how an unstable libc6 can make a system unusable in
some unfortunate cases. So is there another solution, other than
telling people how to extract and install /etc/init.d/devpts.sh by
hand?

(2) I built a kernel with CONFIG_SMP, which is the default, and was
welcomed by this message (coming from linux/arch/sparc/mm/nosun4c.c):

SILO boot:
Uncompressing image...
32bit SMP kernel only supports sun4m and sun4d
Program terminated

Is there no way, at present, of building a kernel which does SMP on
some suns but works on all suns?

Edmund