Re: Still errors in Ultra 5 installation

Steve Dunham <dunham@cps.msu.edu> writes:

> The egcs64 in potato is flakey, the one is slink might be flakey, and
> the one in Red Hat works (it's the one in slink with some additional
> patches, the one in potato is based on a much newer egcs).  The
> kernel-image package mentioned above was compiled with the Red Hat
> egcs.  (When I say flakey, I mean that the resulting kernel may slow
> down and eventually die when doing intensive stuff like compiles.)

Yurgh.  Oh well -- i have your stock 2.2.9 kernel working perfectly.
Ok sure, I could probably save 200k of non-swappable RAM by compiling
my own kernel.

I must say, X11 performance on my Ultra 5 (Rage-64) is rather
disappointing.  Am I wrong in assuming that either a 64-bit X server,
or other misc. optimizations in the linux kernel etc etc. should
eventually lead to, um, I dunno, a 30% speed improvement?  Or at least
better interactive performance?  I note in particular that the X
server tends to really bog down under load...