Re: Ultra and Linux usf readonly...

Steve Dunham <dunham@cse.msu.edu> writes:

> Anders Hammarquist <iko@cd.chalmers.se> writes:
>
> > > 	Neither one is answering my question! :)
> >
> > Oh, come now, it's only been 4 hours since your last mail...
> >
> > > 	I installed Debian in a Ultra 5 and xserver-mach64 and the following
> > > error occurs:
>
> > [snip]
>
> > > Fatal server error:
> > > xf86MapVidMem: Could not mmap framebuffer (Invalid argument)
> > >
> > > xinit:  unexpected signal 2
>
> > My wild guess is that something is strange with your kernel (or possibly
> > libc). What version are you using (and what if any patches have you applied
> > to the kernel)?
>
> There are two possibilities:
>
>    You don't have a 2.2.7 or newer kernel.
>
>    You have extra video hardware that shows up as /dev/fb0 (the X
>    server has /dev/fb0 hard coded into it - older versions had /dev/fb
>    hardcoded.)

As I mentioned in another message, this latter case gives a slightly
different error message, something along the lines of not being able
to do sparse mmap()'s.

In Paulo's case, I'm quite sure the problem is an out of date kernel.

(Paulo - I'm not sure why you can't compile a 2.2.9 kernel - Is it a
clean source tree? Try the kernel-image-2.2.9 package from potato.
It should fix the X problem.  Then you can try downloading the
kernel-source-2.2.9 package and building it, if you want.)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu