Re: Debian in Ultra 5

"Marcelo E. Magallon" <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 1999 at 04:28:42PM -0400, Steve Dunham wrote:
> >
> > Try:
> >
> >   rm /dev/fb0
> >   mv /dev/fb1 /dev/fb0

> *blink*

> why is that? we are going to be installing at least three sparcs in a couple
> of weeks (one Ultra 10, one Ultra 5, one Sparc 5, and _maybe_ one Ultra 20),
> and I'm gathering as much as information as I can :)

Err, back off on that.  I've only had one instance where this was
needed.  The UltraSparc (I think it was an Ultra10) had an additional
special video card (some kind of super Creator 3d thing).  It wouldn't
work with the card in the machine because /dev/fb0 is hardcoded into
the mach64 server and the extra card ended up being /dev/fb0.  (The
server needs /dev/fb0 to map the video memory.)

Now that I think of it, the error message from that situation was
something about not being able to do a sparse mmap().

The error message in this thread points to having an out of date
kernel.  (The newer ones export the memory map differently - allowing
mapping of different endian aperatures, which the 3.3.3.1 X server
needs.)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu