Boot failure on SPARCstation 2

I'm trying to install Debian on my SPARCstation 2 and I'm getting the
following error:

esp0: IRQ 3 SCSI ID 7 Clk 20 MHz CCF=4 TOut 167 NCR53C90A (esp100a)
ESP: Total of 1 ESP hosts found, 1 actually in use
scsi0: Sparc ESP100A (NCR53C90A)
scsi: 1 host
esp0: Warning, live target 0 not responding to selection

The last warning repeats forever and the boot can't get past that
point.  I briefly scanned through the debian-sparc archives and others
have reported similar problems with no solution.  Does anyone have a
way to fix this?  I'm using the rescue floppy from ftp.us.debian.org
with the 2.2.1 kernel.

Thanks,
    Max

--
The hopeful depend on a world without end
Whatever the hopeless may say