Re: glibc 2.1 in potato

Steve Dunham <dunham@cse.msu.edu> writes:

> This should explain the error that you are seeing, but it doesn't
> explain why I don't see the problem on my test machine.

I'm using tar 1.12-7, btw.

> Wait - I am seeing the problem with other programs.

Sorry, typed C-c C-c in the wrong window.

I can't telnet in (hostnames changed):

  Trying 10.0.0.1...
  Connected to foo.bar.domain.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  in.telnetd: fatneck.cse.msu.edu [xterm]: error in loading shared libraries: in.telnetd: fatneck.cse.msu.edu [xterm]: symbol chown, version GLIBC_2.1 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
  Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 jocoque.cse.msu.edu

ssh doesn't work either.  (I restarted it, and I can now connect and
authenticate - it logs a completed RSA authentication - then it
exits.)

It also looks like man is broken too.

We may have a big problem here.  The following bash magic scans the
current directories for possible problems:

for i in *;do
  if objdump -T $i 2>/dev/null|grep chown|grep -q GLIBC_2.1; then
    echo $i;
  fi;
done

In /usr/sbin I find:

  exim gdm in.rlogind in.telnetd rmail rsmtp runq sendfiled
  sendmail sshd sshd1 visudo

In /bin:

  cpio gunzip gzip tar uncompress zcat

In /sbin:

  getty slattach

In /usr/bin:

  apropos bitchx catman checkpc dpkg editor elm ex fdlist fdmount
  fdmountd fdumount lockfile mailq man mandb manpath mc mcedit mcserv
  nex nvi nview objcopy perl perl5.00404 procmail rdistd rn slogin
  slrn sperl5.00404 ssh ssh1 strip sudo suidperl trn vi view whatis

And example of the problem:

  # touch /tmp/foo
  # perl
  chown 0,0,"/tmp/foo";
  perl: error in loading shared libraries: perl: symbol chown, version GLIBC_2.1 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

I suspect that all of the above programs will have problems when they
call chown().  (I think tar calls both chown() and lchown() depending
on what it's trying to do.)

So, it looks like we're going to have to recompile a lot of stuff...

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu