Re: glibc 2.1 in potato

Stephen Zander <gibreel@pobox.com> writes:

>     Ben> I have a nice Debian Ultra Sparc 1 box setup now and was
>     Ben> going to compile glibc 2.1.1-0.1 (from potato). Are we ready
>     Ben> to make this upgrade in the dist yet? If so I can NMU it
>     Ben> afterwards.
>
> Given that we've been running pre2.1 glibc forever, why not?

I was wondering if anybody was going to do this.  A few caveats:

Install the latest sparc egcs first (2.91.60-5 works fine - i ).
Otherwise the "crypt()" functions will be broken. (The test case is
attached.  Not that gcc is still broken, but glibc uses egcs.)

After you compile and install glibc, compile and install the latest
egcs from potato.  (This will probably entail compiling and installing
the latest dejagnu from experimental - this might not be 100%
necessary if they didn't add any versioned symbols since 2.0.105.)

Then test everything.  Make sure apt and dselect work (good tests of
C++ stuff).  Note that compatibility isn't guaranteed between 2.1
betas and 2.1, but I think 2.0.105 is late enough to be fully
compatible.

If you want, I can take care of compiling this.  (I did it once about
a month ago, but that was with an older, broken version of egcc, so
crypt didn't work and, hence, I didn't upload anything.)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu