silo, dual boot, cylinder 0 (was Re: booting at last!)

In message <[🔎] m9bn21priog.fsf@fatneck.cse.msu.edu> you wrote:
>You can't put a swap partition there.  ext2 and ufs have a couple of
>unused blocks at the beginning, so they coexist with the disk label.
>I've always used an ext2 partition at the beginning of the disk
>without problems.

Cool; that's what I thought and what I had documented.

Yet, I personally do have a problem which is confusing.

Install solaris on my ultra5: /dev/hda1 == sunos-root (on cyl. 0)
                              /dev/hda2 == swap (shared)
                              /dev/hda3 == whole disk
			      /dev/hda4 == linux root

This all boots fine, into solaris.  I can still manage to
boot into linux via TFTP.  Then run silo; after which I can boot into
silo but the solaris options don't work (even specifying the full
OpenPROM path, and every possible combination).  It always returns the
error 'Can't find executable kernel/unix', IIRC.

I can restore the boot block manually with dd.o

It almost seems like silo is overwriting part of the VTOC, and
then trying to address the ufs on the first partition (slice 0)
fails until you restore the first part of the disk.