Re: sparc hardware added to boot-floppies Installation Manual

Steve> The sources in kernel-source-2.2.1 are kinda useless.  To get
Steve> the kernel to compile from the "kpkg" package,

You mean 'to compile with the "kernel-package" stuff, ', right?

Steve> you have to run
Steve> something along the lines of "make-kpkg configure" (somehow
Steve> managing to get the patch to magically apply from the patch
Steve> package),

>From /usr/doc/kernel-package/README.gz:

patch_the_kernel This is an experts only variable. If set to YES (ENV
                 variable PATCH_THE_KERNEL overrides this), the build
                 process causes run-parts to be run over
                 /usr/src/kernel-patches/$(architecture)/apply
                 and (hopefully) reverses the process during clean by
                 running run-parts over
                 /usr/src/kernel-patches/$(architecture)/unpatch. This
                 is still evolving.

Steve> then run the generated debian/rules file manually
Steve> with "KERNEL_ARCH=sparc64" added to the end of the command
Steve> line.  It isn't pretty.  The kpkg rules file was such a tangled
Steve> mess that I just gave up and wrote my own - but it does
Steve> explicitely override the kernel Makefile's choice of
Steve> architecture.

Urgh.  I find Manoj, the kernel-package maintainer, to be very
reasonable.  Don't you think (for potato, of course) we could manage
to work out a way to deal with all this more elegantly?

>> Where can I get the sources or rather, I guess, the 2.2.1 patches
>> which you used to build the sparc64 linux kernel?

Steve> One final thing: you need "egcs64" installed to build sparc64
Steve> kernels.

Yeah, I already got that.