Re: Silo

Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Steve Dunham wrote:

> >> I honestly don't know myself. Anybody?
> >
> >You can't build silo on i386.  There is a program somewhere called
> >"intelsilo", but it's not in debian, and it might need tweaking to
> >work.  Also, you must use the "second.b" file from the silo in
> >incoming, or the CD will fail to boot on a large subset of machines.

> Hmmm. Any idea where to look? I had a quick look using Altavista, and it
> just bounced me to the redhat sparc mailing list archives, which didn't
> appear to be of much use.

There is a binary on Jakub's site (ultra.linux.cz).  I could try
making one from the latest version of silo...

> >I'm now set up to generate CD Images.  I mirrored master today, and
> >generated a set of CD images.  The file sizes are:

> >slink1.raw 309188608
> >slink2.raw 676298752
> >slink5.raw 391374848

> >I'm going to tweak the slink1.useful list to push the bulk of the main
> >packages onto the first CD.  (I'm not sure why so few packages are
> >going onto the first CD...)

> I'm curious, too - can you send me your lists?

Turns out that /archive/tmp/slink1.needed is empty.  After looking at
the slink_cd script, I realized that the file "master" was missing...

Also, I was having some weird problems because I was setting the
TMPDIR environment variable.  Apparently this causes "dpkg-deb" to
break.  (This could be a libc6_2.1 issue.)  I changed the variable
name to TDIR in my copy of slink_cd.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu