Re: sparc hardware added to boot-floppies Installation Manual

Jakub - I'm CCing you to get an answer to a question about tilo near
the end of this message.

Eric Delaunay <delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr> writes:

> Steve Dunham wrote:
> > Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:
> >
> > Eric, I've come up with the rules file magic to generate both sparc32
> > and sparc64 kernels from the same source package.  (It generates
> > kernel-image-2.2.x-sparc64_*, then generates a complete set of
> > packages for the sparc32 architecture.)

> Wonderful :-))
> Could you send me both kernel-image packages ? [1]
> I just build a 2.2.0 test kernel but I'm not sure of the options I chosen and
> I don't have time to rebuild a new one right now.
> Just to be sure: don't forget to enable NFSROOT, BOOTP, RARP, LOOP, ISOFS,
> SCSI CDROM SERIAL CONSOLE & PROCFS at least ;-) [2]

Ok, I'm working on a 2.2.1 kernel right now (I'll probably have to
tune the options a bit to get the size down).

I had to patch the source to get RARP/BOOTP in the Ultra kernel.  (The
startup code wanted access to a variable in the ipconfig.c module.)

> Thanks in advance.

> [1] either send me an ftp address or upload them to my ftp site
>     ftp://lix.polytechnique.fr/pub/Linux/debian/sparc/Incoming

> [2] limit your kernel size to no greater than 1.5MB uncompressed.
>     I was not able to load an initial ramdisk using a 1.6MB kernel because it
> 	is destroyed by kernel memory allocations at starting time (due to the
> 	method silo is using to load initrd in memory).

Does this happen with tilo too?  The only limits I see in the source
code are:

   "rootlen + sun4c_size + 0x4000 + 0x10000 < 0x330000"
   "rootlen + sun4u_size + 0x4000 + 0x10000 < 0x330000"

And a max size for the final file of 0x400000.

Ultra kernels are typically >2MB. I doubt I can get them under 1.5MB.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu