Re: sparc hardware added to boot-floppies Installation Manual

Steve Dunham wrote:

> Jakub - I'm CCing you to get an answer to a question about tilo near
> the end of this message.
>
> Eric Delaunay <delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr> writes:
> [...]
> > [2] limit your kernel size to no greater than 1.5MB uncompressed.
> >     I was not able to load an initial ramdisk using a 1.6MB kernel because it
> > 	is destroyed by kernel memory allocations at starting time (due to the
> > 	method silo is using to load initrd in memory).
>
> Does this happen with tilo too?  The only limits I see in the source
> code are:
>
>    "rootlen + sun4c_size + 0x4000 + 0x10000 < 0x330000"
>    "rootlen + sun4u_size + 0x4000 + 0x10000 < 0x330000"
>
> And a max size for the final file of 0x400000.
>

> Ultra kernels are typically >2MB. I doubt I can get them under 1.5MB.

Don't know about tilo.  I didn't try it yet.

Hmm, I don't remember all the details, but one message was displayed at boot
time, telling the kernel was too big.  Something like that:
  "initrd overwritten... - disabling it"

Silo is leaving 3MB of memory for the kernel itself, then loads the initrd
just beyond this limit.  However, when the kernel starts running, it allocates
a lot of memory, overwritting my initrd.

I've had to remove some drivers from the kernel to allow initrd not to be
overwritten (shrinking the kernel size down to 1.5MB).

Don't know about ultra... just try it on your HD.  You only need to set up a
new entry in your silo.conf like that (no need to burn CDROM ;-) ).

image=/test/linux
label=test
initrd=/test/root.bin

BTW, Jakub, is there a way to change this limit ?
What is the maximum size an initial ramdisk could be (mine is 2.6MB, 955KB
gziped, actually) ?

Regards.