NIS and gdbm

Hi!

Anybody who got NIS working?
I tried to setup a Sparc1/Debian-Linux as NIS client (version 3.3.1-1) with
a Sparc2/SunOS4.1.3 as NIS server and it just wouldn't work, other
SunOS4.1.3 clients work fine.

Trying to recompile NIS from the potato-sources resulted in this:

checking for gdbm_open in -lgdbm... no
checking for dbm_open... no
 You need the GNU GDBM library or NDBM support for this package !

gdbm is definitely installed, Version 1.7.3-26
Anyway I tried to recompile gdbm. Result:

test -f gdbmclose.c -a -f debian/rules
test root = "`whoami`"
test -f gdbmclose.c -a -f debian/rules
CONFIG_SITE="" CC="sparc-linuxlibc1-gcc" ./configure
--cache-file=configc1.cache
 --prefix=/usr/sparc-linuxlibc1/
creating cache configc1.cache
checking for gcc... sparc-linuxlibc1-gcc
checking whether the C compiler (sparc-linuxlibc1-gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

Well, now I'm totally confused...

Any suggestions?
--