Re: Floppy Installation on Sparcstation 1

>> I believe I understand why now.  The "install.txt" suggested to use
>>     dd if=file of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 conv=sync ; sync
>> If I don't fill the file with zeroes, the last block does not get
>> written  to disk.
>

>The root.bin I downloaded is 1054057 bytes.

This is surely the same one I used.  I did the installation on an LX,
which might make a big difference in the boot process.  However, when I
dd'd the image onto the floppy, I don't recall specifying  a block size at
all, or if I did, it was 1k (out of habit) instead of 512 bytes.  I also didn't
add any "sync" instructions.  (Tired and lazy!)  Actually, now that I look
back at the instructions I used, there was nothing about using a particular
block size at all;  Eric has probably been industrious, and written a new
version of them for us already.

Just as an experiment, try dd'ing the image with a block size of 1k, or
just use the default, and don't specify a boot image for SILO, but let it
find things by itself; my prom seems to think it's booting from fdtwo,
and Linux's boot sequence calls it floppy0. (Or perhaps this is normal?)