Debian on Sparcstation 1

Hello,

I am trying to install sid on a sparcstation 1, with 16MB RAM.
I created the required floppy disks with rawrite2 and there were
no problems.

As per the release notes, I typed 'boot floppy' at the monitor
prompt and got to the SILO prompt. Here I had to type

/fd;1/linux to uncompress the kernel image. Any way, after detecting
the hardware on the machine, I get the following messages:

Partition check:
	sda: sda1 ..... sda8
	sdb: sdb1 ..... sdb8
floppy 0: Warning disk change called early
VFS: Insert root floppy and press enter

Upon inserting the root floppy and pressing enter:

vfs_read_super: bad magic number 0xf1f9e4ad on dev 2/0
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 2:00
Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

I have tried with two different root image floppies and get the same
behaviour.

Looked in the archives but I could not find any pointers. Any and all
help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Ashok
agopalak@ee.tamu.edu