Re: slink on SLC: `You must upgrade dpkg'

Alexander Jolk <jolk@ap-pc513b.physik.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> James Troup writes:
>  > Either you have an old version of dpkg hanging around somewhere or
>  > sparc's dpkg is seriously FU (unlikely); I suggest you hunt around
>  > looking for rogue copies, and see what dpkg is actually run by root
>  > (i.e. `type dpkg' and `dpkg --version').
>
> Although that sounds like a good idea, it didn't help either:

Oh, okay, sorry, I'll give up guessing and leave it to the sparc
people.

> BTW, how do I find out which version of dpkg a particular .deb
> expects?

check the preinst of the package
(/var/lib/dpkg/info/$package.preinst); if it needs a specific feature
from dpkg (like working epochs), it'll run dpkg
--assert-something-or-other.

--
James