slink on SLC: `You must upgrade dpkg'

Hi, everybody

I've only just subscribed to this list, so please forgive me if this
is a stupud question.  I have checked the archives of the last two
months though.

I'm currently installing (as a test) Debian slink on a diskless SLC
machine with 16MB memory.  I've successfully overcome many of the
problems that I expected, like getting the thing to boot Debian over
the network, manually configuring the networking, and so on.  I can
also cope with those frequent `Out of memory' messages until I figure
out how to make it swap over NFS.  But what left me astonished was the
error message dpkg gave me:

Unpacking bison (from bison_1.25-12.deb) ...

You must upgrade dpkg before installing this package.

I get the same error with zlib1g, which is bad because I need it for
the X server to configure so I can use that thing as an X terminal...

dpkg --list dpkg gives dpkg 1.4.0.30, which is the latest I can find.
Where did I go wrong?

Thanks for your help,
	Alex

--