Re: 2.0.35 turbosparc kernel

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Marc Duponcheel wrote:

> I could give it a chance.
>
> But I am confused: which CVS archive are you actually talking about
> (I only know about vger the CVS 2.1.xxx)?

2.0 is a branch off the same CVS tree (tagged "sparclinux-stable")

> So if the 2.0.35 patch is not too big, what about
> putting it (maybe even with the original next to it) in
> ftp://ftp.dementia.org/pub/linux/2.0.35-turbosparc ?

Well, you can of course do the diff yourself with CVS! (Or, get 980625,
and a current stable kernel from the CVS tree, and diff as below). What
you should see is as follows.

It's contained entirely in arch/sparc/mm/srmmu.c and
include/asm-sparc/turbosparc.h. Essentially:

When we initialize the turbosparc, call init_vac_layout() to figure out
line size; Continue as before initializing the Turbosparc including
turning of microsparc 2 (swift) compat. leave icache snoop turned on.

now, copy *all* of the swift routines and rename them as turbosparc
routines. in the init handler replace direct calls and references with
refs to the new routines you just created. fix cache size in the flush
routines in turbosparc.h as appropriate. make flush_sig_isns do nothing as
icache snoop is turned on. build. boot. with any luck, it will boot. if it
does, try say building a kernel. if that works, try building a kernel and
doing something else; running X and building a kernel, etc...

If you exercise the machine heavily and you can't get anything to crash
inside about an hour or so (most it took me was about 5 minutes, one time)
then you're probably ok.

-D