smail problem in debian-sparc

	Hi,
	I have donloaded the smail and mailx packages
(smail_3.2.0.101-4.deb and mailx_8.1.1-9.deb) and tried to configure
the mail system. At the end of the configuarion of smail, I was asked

Send a test message now ?  (y/l/n)

Then answer y or (l) produces

smail failed 10/

(without any explanation !)
Of course, no mail can be sent from and to this machine!

In the confuguartion set up I have answered 1 (internet site) to the
1st question about mail delivery and none to the question about smart
host. I have also chose to "Generate a line in /etc/inetd.conf" as the
method starting smail. As to the first question, this machine is part
of a network linked to the internet so the answer 1 would be
appropriate, as to the question about smart host, if I don't answer
none I must give the name of this spart hosts which I don't know. Is
there anything wring with the above. Any way, I am lost. Can anybody
help ?

BTW, I can't see the file sendmail.cf which exits on avery other unix
system.